Roots

Last year, I picked a word for my year for the first time, and I loved it. The simplicity and single-mindedness of having just one thing, just one goal for the year was so helpful. For years I'd tried to have five or six resolutions, and it was just a little too hard to keep up with. But this one word thing was much easier to make progress on. You all probably got so stinking tired of the word adventure last year because I made everything a #adventure in 2017.

I went into 2018 wanting to make sure I'd be the same level of focused and intentional with my new word. And even though I did struggle initially with coming up with the right word to define my thoughts, I've known for months what the spirit of my word needed to be. And now that I've finally found the right one, I'm ready to start hashtagging to my heart's content.


My word for 2018 is roots.

We are in our new home and our new town and our new state, and we are going to be here for the foreseeable future. 2018 is the year we're going to make this new community ours. I want to look for ways to not just drive through this town on the way to Walmart, or just walk through this neighborhood on the way to the mailbox, but to actually be in this town and in our neighborhood. Active and known members with names and faces who know other people's names and faces. I want to look for ways to celebrate our town and participate in events and explore the desert around us. I want to be engaged and intentional residents of a town we have no plans to leave.

My favorite part about choosing this word is that it calms us down a little from the hectic rush and desire for adventure, and allows us to turn inward to focus on our family feeling at home here, but it doesn't rule out the need for adventure altogether. I passed over choosing words like "home," "dwell," and "rest" because I didn't want my word to be an excuse to just sit at home and waste a year. I want to rest and I want to celebrate our home, but I want to do it while we make this new town our home. I want us to make friends and become involved in our new church and participate in activities.

I want us to put down roots. 

It's more than just being settled and unpacked. It's more than just finding a church to go to every week. It's more than just meeting the neighbors right next door to us. I want us to thrive in this new town, with relationships and love and fun and even some adventure. And you cant do any of that unless you put down some roots.



Comments

Popular Posts